Wednesday 4 May 2016

Adeboye

Rio 2016: Siasia Goes Tough


Head Coach of the Nigeria U-23, Samson Siasia, has declared that from May 9, he will no longer release invited players in camp to play for their clubs during Nigeria Professional Football League midweek matches.

He also revealed exclusively to our correspondent that the number of players in camp would be reduced to allow clubs have full access to their players.

Siasia maintained that it was necessary to step up preparation for the men’s football tournament of the Rio Olympic Games because he was bulding a team that could go all the way.

Speaking after Tuesday’s training at the practice pitch of the National Stadium, Abuja, Siasia noted that he barely had enough players in camp to start real preparations for the Olympics, which was barely three months away.

He said: ”We are aware the clubs need their players but we are on national duty so those who are not really too useful to us will be dropped.

“It has not been easy for me and my technical crew.

I understand their plight that they need these players to do well in the League but then we must draw a line between national and club interest.

I have always built the foundation of my team on the home-based players so it is players I have at my disposal that I will work and plan with.

“Let me appeal to all involved to please bear with us because from next week, I will not release any player for midweek games.

If the clubs cannot release these players, then I am sorry, no matter how good these players are, they cannot be part of my plans.”

He said the team must step up preparation for the South Korea Invitational Tournament coming up early June.

“From the information at my disposal, we are supposed to be traveling on May 29 to Seoul.

It means we have barely two weeks to prepare adequately for that competition that will have in attendance other teams that would be going to the Olympics.”

Previous
Next Post
Adeboye

About Adeboye -

I am a trained journalist, reporter, social media expert, and blogger in Nigeria

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :